citylife blog

How to apply for Dutch residence permit?

If you are planning to move and live in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days then you must apply for the residence permit. However, depending upon your nationality and purpose of stay (studies, work or others) your application procedure might differ. In certain cases, expats require  both the residence permit and the provisional residence permit (MVV – Machtiging tot Voorlopig Verblijf)

What is a MVV (Machtiging tot Voorlopig Verblif) ?

MVV is a provisional residence permit that allows you to enter the Netherlands as a potential resident rather than a tourist. The MVV is not an official residence permit. his is known as the TEV procedure (Entry and Residence Procedure).To check whether you require an MVV or not visit


Depending upon your nationality, duration and purpose of stay application procedure might differ. There are several different procedures for various types of applications.

To find out which requirements apply to your specific circumstances you can check the IND. Requirements are also stated on IND application forms. If you are uncertain about where to find these application forms you can find them on their website or you can collect them from the IND desks after booking an appointment.

Application procedure

If you require an MVV and a residence permit:

Your sponsor can apply for a residence permit on your behalf before your arrival in the Netherlands at the IND desk (by appointment) either via post or in person. Alternatively, you can also start the TEV procedure  at the Dutch embassy or consulate in your country of residence.

If you only require a residence permit:

If you are exempt from requiring an MVV then either you or your sponsor can apply for a residence permit  either via post or in person at the IND desk (by appointment) before or after your arrival.


The documents you need to provide depend on which application form you are submitting. If you are submitting an Official foreign document then ensure that the document is legalised or has an apostille stamp from the  relevant authorities in the country of issue.

All the documents must be in Dutch, English, French or German. If it is in other languages then it has to be translated by an official translator in the Netherlands.

Application costs

The costs of applying  for a residence permit or MVV varies from one  permit to another. To get a full understanding on the application costs pertaining to your application you can visit IND’s application cost page.

Once the IND has received your application and assessed it. IND will send you a payment request to proceed further with your file. It is important to note that  payment is possible only via cash or debit card and not credit card.

IND’S decision

If the application is accepted then you or  your sponsor will receive a letter of confirmation then you can go the IND along with your passport and collect it.

In case, if your application is rejected the IND will send a letter stating their reasons for not issuing a residence permit or MVV. The letter will also explain if and how you can lodge an objection.

How can I contact the IND?

In order to set an appointment or track the status of your application you can contact the IND directly via:

  • Telephone: +31 88 0430 430
  • Address: Conradstraat 28, 3013 AP Rotterdam
  • Official website: